Family - to - Family This is a free twelve week education course on the topic of wellness and recovery for family caregivers or friends of individuals with severe mental illness. The course is taught by two trained family members who are themselves family members of an individual with a severe mental illness. This class is taught in both Porterville and Visalia.Classes available in English and Spanish
The NAMI Family-to-Family is appropriate for parents, siblings, and significant others of persons with severe and persistent mental illness. It is for families of loved ones who are affected by serious mental illness: schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Dual Diagnosis is covered during the course.
Family-to-Family course outline:
- Week One: Learning about normal reactions when mental illness strikes a family
- Week Two: Schizophrenia, Major Depression, Mania, Schizoaffective Disorders, getting through a critical period
- Week Three: Types and sub types of Depression and Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorder, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), telling our stories
- Week Four: The biology of the brain, research, causes, the biology of recovery
- Week Five: Problem solving, setting limits, problem solving skills workshop
- Week Six: Medication Review
- Week Seven: What it's like to have a brain disorder, empathy workshop
- Week Eight: How illness interferes with the capacity to communicate, communication skills workshop
- Week Nine: Self-care, how to balance out lives
- Week Ten: Rehabilitation, a first person account of recovery
- Week Eleven: Advocacy, learning how to change the system
- Week Twelve: Review and certification ceremony
There is no charge for the class, registration is required: Visalia - Contact Ann Johnson at 559-594-6967 or Denise Nelson at 559-627-1306 Porterville - Contact Donna Grigsby at 559-280-5258
Spanish class begins August 1, 2016 and English class begins August 23, 2016.
Support For Family and Friends
St. Paul's Church, Guild Room,
120 N. Hall St., Visalia, CA
1st Monday of the month
General Membership Meeting: at 5:45 p.m. and Support Group at 7:00pm
Support For Individuals With Mental Illness
NAMI Connections; Every Thursday at 3:00pm at TLC, 546 E. Tulare Ave. Visalia, CA
Look for the Wellness and Recovery Sign.
This confidential group is led by peers living well in recovery.
This is a free twelve-week education course on the topic of wellness and recovery for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illness. The course is taught by two trained [more]
This free ten week education course provides a full approach to recovery for people with mental illness who are interested in achieving and maintaining wellness. [more]
A panel presentation providing a summary of mental illness in children and adolescents and a discussion of the issues these disorders raise for parents and teachers. [more]
This is a 50-minute program designed for high school audiences and is typically presented in the freshman/sophomore health classes during the mental health portion of the curriculum. [more]
*Also Available in Spanish